Coconut Meringue-Topped Sweet Potato Pie
SKILL LEVEL: Intermediate
YIELD: 12 servings
PREP TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 4 hours 15 minutes
1 refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box
2-1/4 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (about 2 lb)
2-2/3 cups sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup maple syrup
4 tablespoons vanilla (from 4-oz bottle)
5 whole eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk (from 5-oz can)
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
5 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
COCONUT MERINGUE-TOPPED SWEET POTATO PIE
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place pie crust between 2 sheets of waxed paper or cooking parchment paper; roll until 1 inch larger than inverted PYREX® EASY GRAB® 9.5″ PIE PLATE. Peel off top sheet of waxed paper; invert pie crust over pie plate until centered. Peel off remaining waxed paper. Ease pie crust into pie plate. Roll edge of pie crust under, securing to edge of pie plate; flute edge.
- In large bowl, beat sweet potatoes, 2-2/3 cups sugar, the cinnamon, ginger and butter with electric mixer on low speed 1 to 2 minutes or until blended. Add syrup, vanilla, eggs and milk; beat on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes or until well blended. Pour into crust-lined plate. Carefully cover edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes; remove foil. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Pie will not be completely set.) Replace foil strips if edge is browning too quickly.
- Meanwhile, in 1-quart saucepan, mix 1/2 cup sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Cool completely, about 40 minutes.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites and salt with electric mixer on high speed just until soft peaks begin to form. Beat in cooled sugar mixture, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form. Spoon meringue onto hot pie. Spread over pie, completely covering filling and carefully sealing meringue to edge of crust to prevent shrinking. Sprinkle with coconut. Replace foil strips. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until coconut is toasted. Cool completely away from drafts, about 2 hours. Store in refrigerator.