Celebrate Creativity During National Craft Month
Let’s take a minute to sing the praises of crafting: Not only is it a stylish yet practical way to personalize your home and your life, studies have shown that working on these kinds of projects reduces stress, improves concentration and increases self-esteem. This pastime also brings people together, building friendships and strengthening family bonds. In fact, the Craft and Hobby Association estimates that over half of all households in America engage in crafting each year.
Whether you’re new to DIY projects or a seasoned crafter, get ready to celebrate. March is National Craft Month! To help put you in a craft-tastic mood, we’re sharing our stash of ideas, ranging from ways to store supplies to tips on trends and tools to suggestions for hosting a DYI-oriented event. Let’s get this party started!
EVERYTHING IN ITS PLACE
Since it is spring, this is the perfect time to organize your crafting stash and DIY space. Even if you’re already as neat as a pin, you can upgrade your storage choices with practical new containers.
- Wrangle tangles of ribbon into a tidy row with the Snapware® Snap ‘N Stack® Seasonal 6″ x 9″ Ribbon Dispenser.
- Corral small items like beads, mini dried flowers, buttons, pins or spools of thread in the Snapware® Snap ‘N Stack® Home Storage 6″ x 6″ Square.
- Learn about more practical hacks and ideas for managing your supplies and creating a craft central space.
IMPROVE YOUR TOOLBOX
Adding to your arsenal is a must. Whether you’re a quilter, sewer, paper crafter or an all-purpose DIYer, make sure you have top-of-the line cutting supplies.
- Pair the OLFA® Splash Handle Rotary Cutter (RTY-2/C) with the self-healing OLFA® 18″ x 24″ Double-Sided Rotary Mat (RM-SG).
- To round off the set, be sure to pick up the OLFA® 6″ x 24″ Frosted Acrylic Ruler (QR-6X24).
- Use the tools to put together a sturdy and easy-to-make DIY Tool Tote that’ll hold your supplies in style.
SHOP ’TIL YOU DROP
Now that your supplies are secure and your space is organized, it’s time to shop! Take a trip (or a click) to your favorite craft store to see what’s new. Discover special events, tutorials and sales tied to National Craft Month, making this the perfect opportunity to stock up or dive into a new technique. Join a club focusing on the technique you love, and hone your skills, make friends and even find deals on supplies. If you’re surfing while you shop, check out an online blog like Craftaholics Anonymous for new ideas and new connections.
MEET THE POPULAR CROWD
While tried-and-true traditional crafts such as knitting, crocheting, quilting, scrapbooking and jewelry-making continue to hold their own, there are several trends that have recently caught on among crafters.
- Upcycled crafts involve repurposing and reusing items to create eco-chic wearables and décor. Ideas include turning leather belts into bracelets, making headbands and scarves from old T-shirts, and transforming old magazines into colorful coasters.
- Natural fibers and themes go hand in hand with upcycled style. Raffia and moss combined with simple paper posies can enhance wreath forms and cardboard letters. Burlap bows, flowers and trims are all the rage, adding texture and a modern mixed-media flair to home décor projects, scrapbook pages and card designs.
- Washi tape—similar to masking tape but printed with colorful patterns—is a fun and multi-use material prevalent in paper crafting and gift wrapping.
- Resins, like epoxy resin clay and glue gun sticks, have caught on and stuck. When you press these materials into molds, you wind up with charms and embellishments that can be paired with beaded necklaces, clothing, candleholders and more.
GATHER THE GANG
The perfect way to celebrate National Craft Month is to, well, celebrate! Invite three or four DIY-inclined friends over for an afternoon or evening of how-to happiness. To create connections and get everyone talking and laughing, invite your guests to each bring a small project with supplies and then exchange them. Quilters can hold a scrap swap by bringing fat quarters of fabric in order to make a scrappy patchwork design you provide. Or you can host a charity craft-a-thon by bringing together friends to assemble hats, simple blankets or ornaments for a local nonprofit organization. Don’t worry if the project you fall in love with requires more time to complete—you can extend your event into a monthly gathering.
KEEP IT TOGETHER, HERE AND THERE
Whatever craft-based entertainment you pick, a portable craft station like the Snapware® Snap ‘N Stack® Home Storage 6″ x 9″ Rectangle can hold supplies and tools at home or on-the-go. This savvy box has three layers so you can separate materials and keep things organized, and the convenient handle lets you easily transport the whole thing to ongoing craft meetings and weekend getaways.
Has inspiration struck yet? Gear up, get going and brighten your world—one craft project at a time!
YOUR TURN: When it comes to crafting, do you stick with old-school projects or take on the new?