Put a Lid on the Clutter and Get Organized
Clutter is a big problem in many homes. Yes, ours, too! Whether you have a spread-out hobbyist for a spouse, a well-stocked but poorly organized kitchen, or a child with just a few too many toys underfoot, lack of organization quickly becomes exasperating. Not only is this the fast track to crazy town, but you’ve got better things to do than pull apart the house looking for the things you need.
A great way to get everything organized is by using Snapware® containers throughout the house. These stackable, durable containers are well known for kitchen and home storage solutions, and we’ve created a list of surprising ways to put them to work in every room. Snapware comes in enough sizes and shapes to store just about anything. And did we say, they stack like a pro?
Too many of any item can create a mess, from toys and collectibles to toiletries and sporting goods. The best way to get in control is to sort things into containers, starting where you frequently find clutter, collections or piles of things that don’t have a “home.” Here’s your guide to putting a lid on the chaos.
FIRST AID KIT
- In the panic-filled moments of an emergency, the last thing you want to do is waste time rummaging through the bathroom looking for first aid supplies. Be ready for anything with your bandages, tape, ointments and scissors all in one container. The Red Cross and other first aid suppliers have helpful lists of must-haves to create a complete home kit. RECOMMENDED CONTAINER: SNAPWARE® 18.5 CUP RECTANGLE AIRTIGHT FOOD STORAGE CONTAINER.
- Protect cotton balls and cotton swabs from dust and water in a tightly sealed Snapware container. Assign each family member their own personal container to fill with their toiletries, create custom labels with the Write ’n Erase Lid and tuck it in a cabinet or on a shelf. It’ll keep the bathroom counter clear of clutter.
- Stow away extra toiletries like new toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner, soap and lotion into a larger container so they are at arm’s reach when you need a new one. If you’re a bulk shopping pro or a whiz with coupon clipping, this is a tidy way to store your discounted bounty.
- Keep your medications, vitamins and supplements together and out of the reach of children. Store in a see-through storage container. Snapware makes large airtight containers, complete with a handy handle. Tucked away on a high-up shelf where it is easy for you to access and won’t tumble down on your head when you reach for it. RECOMMENDED CONTAINER: SNAPWARE® 40 CUP SQUARE AIRTIGHT FOOD STORAGE CONTAINER W/ HANDLE.
- Pack playing cards and dice games into smaller, stackable food storage containers. Larger board games and puzzles fit nicely in Snapware Smart Store® containers. Watch the playroom get organized in a snap. Get the kids involved by having them sort and fit their games into each container. They’ll gain a sense of ownership; you’ll get a cleaner room.
- Sort cars, trains, dolls and action figures into midsize matching rectangular containers. They not only look cool, they also stack perfectly on top of each other. Label each with a photo or drawing of what’s inside so even non-readers will know how to organize their toys. Blocks and building sets that tend to grow over time can be collected in larger Snapware Smart Store containers. Tiny items should be kept together in matching small food storage containers, which can be sorted and stacked into larger Smart Store products. RECOMMENDED CONTAINERS: SNAPWARE® FOOD STORAGE CONTAINERS IN ALL SIZES, SNAPWARE® 18.5 CUP RECTANGLE AIRTIGHT FOOD STORAGE CONTAINER and SNAPWARE® 40 CUP SQUARE AIRTIGHT FOOD STORAGE CONTAINER W/ HANDLE.
- If you have a green thumb but all your gardening supplies are scattered around the yard and garage, it’s time to organize. Keep seed packets safe and dry in smaller airtight Total Solution™ containers until it’s time to plant. Gloves, tools and other small supplies will stay sorted and nearby in these containers, too. Never lose track of your glove’s mate again! RECOMMENDED CONTAINER: SNAPWARE® TOTAL SOLUTION COLLECTION.
- Has your collection of tools and supplies outgrown the toolbox? Expand into stacking boxes to keep supplies sorted and easy to find. Screws, nails, nuts and bolts, zip ties and more can be sorted into a variety of right-sized individual containers and neatly stacked. Other tools that no longer fit in your toolbox fit nicely into a larger container and can be stored under your workbench or on a shelf. RECOMMENDED CONTAINER: SNAPWARE® SNAP ’N STACK COLLECTION.
- Corral your collection of tennis balls, baseballs, golf balls and pucks into one or more large container so they won’t roll or bounce away—or underfoot. Oversized bats, rackets and hockey sticks might not fit into a container, but gloves for each sport and small items like golf tees can be housed in something that is just right for their size. Or create a container for each sport, storing baseballs and gloves in one, golf balls and tees in another. Then you’ll have everything you need for a pickup game in one spot. RECOMMENDED CONTAINERS: SNAPWARE® CANISTERS, SNAPWARE® SMART STORE® 12″ X 9″ HOME STORAGE CONTAINER WITH HANDLE and SNAPWARE® 40 CUP SQUARE AIRTIGHT FOOD STORAGE CONTAINER W/ HANDLE
- Keep your collection of stationery and greeting cards sorted and wrinkle-free by storing it safely in a large container with divided sections or layers. Keep thank-you notes separate from birthday cards, and you’ll easily find what you’re looking for next time you need one. You might also try keeping some pens, tape or stickers and other supplies at hand in the other compartments for convenient access! RECOMMENDED CONTAINER: SNAPWARE® SNAP ‘N STACK® HOME STORAGE 6″ X 9″ RECTANGLE
- Have a coin collector in the family? The airtight seal of a plastic Snapware food storage container is perfect for keeping the air and humidity out, keeping your coins protected. Whether the size of your collection is great or small, there is a container that will perfectly protect your coins for years to come. Or if you’re just storing them up for some rainy day money, try a cookie jar or flip-top canister as your new piggy bank…they’re much easier to open when it comes time to pour those coins into the coin counter at the bank! RECOMMENDED CONTAINER: SNAPWARE® TOTAL SOLUTION COLLECTION
- Collect your pooch’s extra leashes, collars and grooming tools in one spot. Next time his leash gets lost, you’ll know just where to find the spare. Wrangle toys in a bin with a handle so you can easily pack them in the car for the park or when traveling. Treats and kibble can be kept fresh in a cute paw-printed canister designed with your pet in mind. RECOMMENDED CONTAINERS: SNAPWARE® SMART STORE® 16″ X 9″ HOME STORAGE CONTAINER and SNAPWARE® PET STORAGE CANISTERS
JEWELRYKeep special pieces protected from the elements in the smallest Snapware Snap ’n Stack Home Storage container. Tuck in a no-tarnish strip, silica desiccant packets or a piece of chalkboard chalk to keep your precious metals from tarnishing. Label each box on the outside so when you want to wear or admire a piece, you won’t have to rummage through the collection. For those bulky bangles or oversized beaded necklaces, try a stackable container with layers to divide and conquer!
YOUR TURN: What systems do you use to keep your house organized? Share your best solutions with the rest of us!