Red Velvet Sweet Rolls
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 2 hours
1/2 cup diced peeled beets (1/2-inch pieces)
2/3 cup milk
3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 to 1/2 cup hazelnut spread with cocoa
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
RED VELVET SWEET ROLLS
beet puree in place of food coloring not only gives these chocolate-filled rolls their striking color, it also adds an extra hint of sweetness to the dough.
- Place beets in a steamer basket; steam over 1 inch of water for 10 to 12 minutes until tender (or use microwave). Cool. In a blender or food processor, puree beets with 1/3 cup of the milk.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour and the yeast; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat beet puree with remaining 1/3 cup milk, the granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons of the butter and the salt until warm, stirring constantly. Add to flour mixture along with egg. Beat for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a slightly stiff dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Roll dough into a 12×10-inch rectangle. Using a BAKER’S SECRET ESSENTIALS 9″ MINI ICING SPREADER, spread hazelnut spread over dough. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter; brush over hazelnut spread using the BAKER’S SECRET® ESSENTIALS SILICONE BASTING BRUSH. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over butter.
- Roll up dough, starting from a long side. Cut into 12 slices. Place rolls, cut sides down, in a greased BAKER’S SECRET® RED VELVET OBLONG PAN 9″ X 13″. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or when center of sweet rolls spring back to the touch. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup milk and the vanilla; beat until combined. Frost cinnamon rolls. Serve warm.
Try This Twist! Create heart-shaped cinnamon rolls. After rolling the dough into a 12x 10-inch rectangle, coil the long sides of the strip toward the center, creating two equal coils. Cut into 12 slices. Pull the center of each slice down to make a point, forming a heart shape. Arrange in two BAKER’S SECRET® 8″ ROUND RED VELVET CAKE PANS with the tips pointing toward the center of the pan. Let rise and bake as directed.