Go Green This St. Patrick’s Day
Staying healthy on March 17th doesn’t depend solely on the luck o’ the Irish. With a little pre-planning, you can put together an Irish feast that’s good for you, too. Whether you’re hosting a holiday bash, taking your little leprechauns to the parade or prepping for a night out filled with spirited Irish shenanigans, we have some healthy suggestions for going green!
MAY YOUR HEART…AND YOUR TUMMY ALWAYS BE FULL
When you’re gearing up for a day filled with Irish-themed fun and festivities, you want to make sure you’re prepared for whatever comes your way. That includes offering tempting alternatives to traditional Irish fare like corned beef and green beer. The recipes we’ve gathered for you here will help you develop a menu featuring lower-fat foods so yummy that no one will even know they’re eating light!
MAY YOUR GLASS NEVER BE EMPTY
Of course, green beer is always an option. But if you’d rather not imbibe in a dyed brew, get creative and order one of these deliciously green cocktails from the bar, or whip up a batch at home.
Or, focus more on the flavor and less on the color with these Irish-inspired drinks.
- Green Apple Martini
- Kiwi Martini
- Scooby Snack Shot
- Lime Margarita
- Melon Bomb Shooter
- Irish Coffee
- Irish Car Bomb
- Irish Buck
- Irish Redhead
- Creamy Irish Coffee Martini
- Irish Apple Cider
MAY YOUR TROUBLES BE FEW: EXPERT TIPS
YOUR TURN: How do you go green? Tell us which healthy St. Patrick’s Day desserts make your Irish eyes smile.
- SHAM-ROCK THE SALAD: One of the best ways to get your greens in is to start with a salad. The options are endless, but if you’re looking for a delish new way to kick off your meal, try our Apple-Walnut-Cherry Kale Salad. It’s so simple, you can whip it up and serve it all in a PYREX® Glass Mixing Bowl.
GET THE RECIPE
- AN ENTREE WORTH A POT O’ GOLD: On St. Patrick’s Day, everyone and everything is Irish—including food! Add some world-fare flair to your meal with our Chicken-Zucchini Chilaquiles Bake. This Mexican-inspired, greened-up entree fits neatly into a PYREX® Easy Grab® 3-Qt (9”x13”) Oblong Baking Dish. Plus, it’s so good, it will have you counting your Irish blessings with every bite.
GET THE RECIPE
- IRISH EYES ARE SMILING…because they know what you’ve got planned for dessert. Our Shamrock Shake Cake will have your family and friends trying to kiss you, whether or not you’re Irish!
- There are plenty of family-friendly ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Nonalcoholic green punch is always a great way to go. Try mixing together lime sherbet, pineapple juice and white soda or ginger ale. Another idea: Add peppermint to hot chocolate for a toasty treat, if March 17th temps are cool where you live.
- If you are going to be drinking, make sure you designate a driver. Planning ahead allows you to enjoy your time out without the worry and stress. Stay safe!
- Fill up before leaving home so you aren’t tempted by the salty and unhealthy foods that often spring up at St. Patty’s Day events. Plan to indulge in a healthy and satisfying snack or meal first, then head out to enjoy the day.