1/2 lb bacon, coarsely chopped
1-1/4 cups chopped onions (about 3 medium)
1-1/4 cups chopped celery (about 5 medium stalks)
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped fresh kale leaves (stems removed)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 lb small red potatoes (2 to 3 inches in diameter), cut into 1/4-inch slices
BAKED GERMAN POTATO SALAD WITH KALE
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a PYREX® EASY GRAB® 2 QUART OBLONG BAKING DISH with cooking spray.
- In 12-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until brown and crisp; remove from skillet with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Coarsely chop bacon; set aside.
- Cook onions, celery and bell pepper in bacon drippings 5 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender. Stir in kale, salt, celery seed and pepper.
- In 1-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Slowly whisk in broth and vinegar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 1 minute.
- In baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, half of the vegetable mixture and half of the bacon. Pour half of the broth mixture over bacon. Repeat layers once (but do not top with remaining bacon). Cover tightly with foil; bake 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. (If all liquid is absorbed and potatoes aren’t tender, drizzle 1/4 cup additional hot chicken broth over potatoes; cover with foil and continue to bake until tender.) Uncover; cool 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and additional chopped kale, if desired.