Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Tomato-Garlic Sauce and Chicken Meatballs
YIELD: 4 servings
PREP TIME: 1 hour
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
1 medium to large spaghetti squash
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Sauce and Meatballs:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 to 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
12 chicken meatballs*
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, optional
ROASTED SPAGHETTI SQUASH WITH TOMATO-GARLIC SAUCE AND CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- Heat oven to 400°F. Cut squash lengthwise in half, then cut each half again to make four pieces.
- Spray a PYREX® EASY GRAB™ 2 QUART OBLONG BAKING DISH with cooking spray (without flour). Place spaghetti squash in dish. Brush tops of squash quarters with 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Add 1 inch of water to baking dish. Roast uncovered 45 to 55 minutes or until squash strings apart easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, 1 to 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning and the fennel. Heat to simmering.
- In another large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add meatballs; cook until browned on all sides. Add meatballs to sauce; simmer over low heat.
- Shred squash with a fork into spaghetti-like strands; discard peel. Divide “spaghetti” among 4 plates; top each with 3 meatballs. Spoon sauce over top. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
*Choose ready-made chicken meatballs or a recipe without bread crumbs and other ingredients that may contain gluten.