2/3 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 box (15.25 oz) white cake mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 egg whites
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1-1/4 cups water
1 box (3 oz) watermelon-flavored gelatin
1 container (16 oz) fluffy white frosting
Red (or pink), green, yellow and blue food color
1 piece of black or chocolate licorice, if desired
SUMMER-LOVIN’ WATERMELON CAKE
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease a glass PYREX 2.5 QT MIXING BOWL with shortening or cooking spray. Cut a piece of cooking parchment paper to fit in bottom of bowl. Spray paper with cooking spray; lightly flour the paper and inside of bowl. In small bowl, toss chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, 1/2 cup flour, sugar, baking powder, egg whites, oil, water and gelatin powder with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. If desired, add 2 to 3 drops red or pink food color (or enough to achieve desired color). Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Pour about one-fourth of the batter into prepared bowl. Gently fold reserved chocolate chips into remaining batter; pour over batter in bowl. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (some chocolate is okay!).
- Cool 15 minutes; carefully loosen cake with a knife and invert onto cooling rack. Peel off parchment paper; cool completely.
- Mix two-thirds of the frosting with enough green food color to achieve the deep green shade of a watermelon rind (add 1 or 2 drops blue food color to get a deeper green). Frost entire dome of cake with dark green frosting. Place cake in freezer until frosting is set, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mix remaining frosting with 2 to 3 drops of green and 1 to 2 drops yellow food color to achieve a light green. Spoon frosting into resealable plastic bag or piping bag; pipe thin stripes on dark green frosting. Using a butter knife or offset spatula, spread thin stripes to create wider and slightly irregular stripes to look like watermelon.
- For stem, insert licorice in top center of cake. Store in refrigerator. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.