Summer-Lovin’ Watermelon Cake
Cherry slushies. Strawberry shortcake. Peach cobbler. We love fruity warm-weather treats, but nothing says “I ❤ summertime” quite like the fresh flavor of sweet watermelon.
You can keep the crush low-key by simply cutting up a whole watermelon 3 ways to cut watermelon and enjoying it slice by slice, or go for all-out bliss and bake up our captivating watermelon cake. Easy on the eyes with a fruity flavor to die for—just try not to fall head over heels!
SUMMER-LOVIN’ WATERMELON CAKE
Bring on the starry-eyed smiles. Our moist and colorful chocolate chip-studded cake looks just like the real thing, but tastes even sweeter. Swoon!
Here are your 7 simple steps to sweet infatuation:
- Grab a box of white cake mix.
- Add a packet of watermelon-flavored gelatin, plus a few other ingredients.
- Mix up your batter.
- Stir in the seeds, aka chocolate chips.
- Pour into a glass Pyrex 2.5 Qt. Mixing Bowl (to achieve the right shape) and bake.
- Cool and frost with variegated flair.
- Slice and dish up this dreamy dessert as is, or serve chilled and topped with whipped cream for a cool twist.
- Try spraying your chocolate chips with cooking spray before tossing with the flour to keep them from sinking in the cake batter.
- Let your cake cool for a maximum of 15 minutes before you try to turn it out of the pan. Any longer and it will actually be harder to remove.
- Use a serrated knife (or the tines of a fork) and gently drag it side to side from the darker frosting just to the edge of the lighter frosting. This will make the edges of the stripe a little jagged, just like a watermelon!
If you’re a seasoned baker and need a design challenge, check out this similar version that uses fondant to frost a rounded watermelon cake.
Simple to make, stunning to look at and scrumptious to eat. Make it yours, ’cause this one’ll turn heads and be the talk of your barbecue or party this summer!
YOUR TURN: What’s your favorite summer fruit-flavored treat?