2 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/8-inch thick
1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere cheese
Sweet Potato Gratin with Gruyere
- In a small saucepan, bring cream and garlic just to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside; stir occasionally to help prevent skin from forming.
- Grease a PYREX® EASY GRAB™ 2-QT OBLONG BAKING DISH with butter or nonstick cooking spray. In the baking dish, arrange one-fourth of the sliced sweet potatoes in a single layer, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers twice. Arrange remaining sweet potatoes on top.
- Stir the garlic cream mixture, then pour evenly over the top layer of sweet potatoes. Shake dish gently to distribute the cream. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Cover with foil. Place dish on middle oven rack. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20 to 30 minutes longer or until top is browned and potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Cool 30 minutes before cutting.
- Make-Ahead Tip! Slice the sweet potatoes and completely submerge them in ice-cold water; cover and refrigerate up to 2 days (the potato slices may curl during storage, adding interest to the gratin). Before assembling, drain and pat the potatoes well with paper towels until dry.
Recipe adapted from: Brown Eyed Baker