DIY Dessert Bark
If you have a long gift list, but you’re short on time, we have a recipe just for you! Give your friends and family something deliciously different than the same old store-bought gifts with this DIY Dessert Bark. Like traditional chocolate bark, it’s super simple to prepare. Simply melt the chocolate, spread on parchment paper and crack into pieces once cool. But, unlike usual chocolate bark, where you make one batch of the same flavor, this time we’re twisting things up and making it easy to create dozens of make-your-own variations.
Need a gift for foodie friends? Top their bark with high-end flavors like orange and peppermint.
Sharing a treat with your best camping buddies? Mix up a batch of s’mores-inspired bark.
Creating something sweet for co-workers? Sprinkle colorful holiday toppings on your bark for a one-size-fits-all cubicle snack stash.
Find your own favorite toppings and develop an over-the-top signature treat, or make one big batch and customize small sections of your bark for specific gift recipients. Whichever way you want to make your bark, we’ve got all sorts of easy ideas that make for splendid sharing.
Faster than cookies, quicker than cupcakes, mix up a batch of our basic chocolate bark, then use the ideas below to start topping. In just 15 minutes, you’ll have a sheet of chocolaty goodness to share all around…after you snag a few samples yourself, of course!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
BASIC BARK RECIPE (Makes about 12 servings)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Line a raised-edge cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper. In a double boiler or in a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt dark chocolate. Meanwhile, in another double boiler or saucepan, melt white chocolate. Once chocolate is melted, remove from heat. (Alternately, microwave chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 60 seconds. Remove and stir, then cook on high in 30-second bursts, stirring between, until the chocolate is smooth.)
- Pour dark chocolate onto cookie sheet. Pour melted white chocolate on top in a zigzag pattern; use a toothpick to swirl together. Top with desired toppings. Let stand until firm. Place in refrigerator to speed this process, if desired.
- Break bark into pieces and store in a SNAPWARE® TOTAL SOLUTION™ 10-PC PYREX® GLASS FOOD STORAGE SET W/ SNAPWARE® LIDS.
Don’t let your bark cool before topping it with your own unique blend of yummy add-ons. Try one of these toppers or make your own. Add crushed potato chips, bacon bits, pretzels or colorful candy-coated chocolate candies. Sprinkle on candy bar bits, toffee bits, even gummy bears! The options are endless. But here are a few favorite combos to get you started:
Treat yourself to a sophisticated blend of citrus and peppermint flavors. All you need are some candy canes and an orange peel to make this fragrant version. You’ll find this minty tart-sweet taste to be simply irresistible.
- TO MAKE: Top with crushed candy canes and finely grated orange peel for a zesty take on traditional peppermint bark. For more flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon of both peppermint and orange extract to the chocolate after it’s melted.
Get ready for a new family favorite! While admittedly not quite as fun as the real thing, this crunchy, gooey, great-tasting bark will bring back sweet s’more-roasting memories.
- TO MAKE: Simply sprinkle a batch of bark with mini marshmallows and broken graham crackers. Cool, crack and it’s ready to go!
Here’s one to twist up your taste buds! Put a spin on your basic chocolate bark with these tart and salty toppings that are sure to bring smiles to your guests’ faces. And while the red and green colors make for a festive dessert in December, this would also make a great Mother’s Day treat or a fun teacher appreciation gift.
- TO MAKE: Sprinkle chopped salted pistachios and chopped sweetened dried cranberries on top.
Cookie Crumble Bark
What’s better than chocolate? Cookies and chocolate! Topping bark with crushed creme-filled cookies is a total crowd-pleaser. You can even vary your crushing—keep some larger pieces of cookie that can be picked off the bark and munched, then finely chop the rest for a final dusting of sweetness.
- TO MAKE: Crunch up about 15 miniature creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies for a delicious looking (and tasting) holiday dessert. Sprinkle on some mint chocolate chips to make a Grasshopper Bark, or add mini chocolate chip cookie-shaped cereal pieces to create Monster Cookie Bark.
Looking for an easy way to safely store your batches of homemade bark, while also creating a gorgeous giftable? These three Snapware® containers are ideal for holiday giving. Added bonus: Once the bark is gone, recipients will be left with a beautiful reusable container.
- Create a Chocolate Jar. Decorate a SNAPWARE® 4.4 CUP SMALL PLASTIC SQUARE CANISTER by covering it with colorful washy craft tape. Or stick a chalkboard label on your jar and add a handwritten note. Such a fun and simple way to add a handcrafted look!
- Reuseable. Share your homemade treat in a container that will be welcome in any kitchen. The SNAPWARE® TOTAL SOLUTION™ 2-CUP RECTANGLE PYREX® GLASS FOOD STORAGE W/ SNAPWARE® LIDS is made of high-quality glass that can be used again and again. Once friends have gobbled up their holiday bark, they’ll have a versatile baking dish that’s safe for the oven, microwave and freezer. Sounds like something everyone will fa-la-love!
Make holiday treat sharing extra sweet this year with DIY Dessert Bark. Easy to customize, quick to whip up, this is one crowd-pleasing idea that will have everyone cheering for chocolate.