Yield: 1½ quarts, 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon sliced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned,low-sodium, chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded medium sharp cheddar cheese
- Simple Croutons for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a 6-quart stockpot over medium heat. When it is hot, add the onions, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once the stock is boiling, add the broccoli and cook until fork-tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool slightly. Then puree the soup, in batches, in a blender, adding the cheese in three additions while blending (see Note).
4. Adjust the seasoning if necessary, garnish with croutons if desired, and serve hot.
Note: Please use caution when blending hot liquids; blend only small amounts at a time, with the blender tightly covered and a kitchen towel held over the top.
Recipe Courtesy Emeril Lagasse, Emeril 20-4-60 Fresh Food Fast, HarperStudio Publishers, New York, 2009, Courtesy Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc.